Recently, scientists and experts have suggested that the name starfish should be changed to sea star. The reason is fairly simple – starfish are not fish! They are actually echinoderms, and more closely related to species like the sea urchin than they are any type of fish. There are over 2,000 species of starfish found in today’s oceans, and no two species are exactly alike!
Starfish, sometimes more commonly called sea stars, can be found throughout the world’s oceans, from shallow tidal pools to deep trenches. They are most often found in rocky areas where they can feed on mollusks and similar invertebrates.
- Scientific Name:Genus Asterias
- Characteristics: Starfish usually have five arms in the traditional star shape, although there are species that can have as many as 40 arms. Individually hand painted and crafted with scientific accuracy, this figurine makes a wonderful gift for an aspiring marine biologist.
- Size and Colour: 4.5 inches in diameter, this model is a touch smaller than a DVD. Starfish can come in many different colorations, although orange is one of the most prevalent.
- The Orange Starfish is part of the Wild Safari® Sea Life collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Size in cm: 10.5 L x 10.5 W x 1.5 H