Although there are over 100,000 reticulated giraffes throughout their relatively small African range, they are classified as a vulnerable species by the IUCN. Unfortunately, reticulated giraffes are a primary target for poachers due to their hair and skin. Because of this illegal hunting, some subspecies have been reduced down to less than 100 remaining individuals. Thankfully, there are a multitude of sanctuaries set up throughout Africa, as well as laws and regulations in place to help combat illegal poaching.
The reticulated giraffe is native to the open woodlands and savannas of Somalia, Ethiopia, and Kenya. Because of their exceptionally long necks, reticulated giraffes are able to eat the foliage that grows on tall trees. Males even use their necks as a weapon in mating rituals!
- Scientific Name: Giraffa reticulata
- Characteristics: Other than their long necks, reticulated giraffes can easily be identified by the skin-covered knobs on the top of their heads called “ossicones,” a trait common amongst the Giraffidae family. Painted and sculpted by hand, this life-like figurine is a wonderful gift for any and all nature lovers!
- Size and Colour: Although this model isn’t quite as large as the real thing, it still stands 7 inches tall and 5.5 inches long, roughly the height of a 16 oz. water bottle and the length of a soda can resting on its side. Sporting one of the most distinctive coats in the animal kingdom, reticulated giraffes have large brownish-orange spots with white fur in between.
- The Reticulated Giraffe is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Size in cm: 14 L x 4 W x 18 H